Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 48

Thread: What amplifers are you using with your Altec gear?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    HB Forum Owner tomt's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2003
    Posts
    5,483
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: What amplifers are you using with your Altec gear?

    most recent was with a bogen ct 100. $5us at a church sale.

    mono, with a cd (sony?) input.

    pair 515's, 811/808 ...
    guns kill people,

    like spoons made rush limbaugh,

    fat ....

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    What amplifers are you using with your Altec gear?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: What amplifers are you using with your Altec gear?

    Everyone will likely cringe, but an old Harmon Kardon 630. Works, gets as loud as I need.

    1
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member magnarc's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2005
    Posts
    615
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What amplifers are you using with your Altec gear?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdm View Post
    Bottlehead Paramount 300B with GPA 604 8HII in 9 cu ft BR cabinets (similar to Stonehenge V).

    How do you find this combo?

  4. #4
    Junior Hostboard Member jdm's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 9th, 2010
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What amplifers are you using with your Altec gear?

    Quote Originally Posted by magnarc View Post
    How do you find this combo?
    This is the only amp I have used with these speakers. It sounds good to me in my 11.4 ft x 18 ft room. It can play as loud as I would ever want in this room without noticeable distortion.
    The choice of 12at7 in the driver stage has a noticeable affect on the sound. The 300B's not so much but I do prefer the EML (solid plate) over the others I have tried.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member juniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2011
    Posts
    368
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What amplifers are you using with your Altec gear?

    I have tried a few amps and combos with my Altec 604 8g's and 19's.... the room I listen in is very bright it fails the "clap test" miserably so take this with a grain... although mostly mid fi, and low fi, many have some regard as far as their sound. To list a few, onkyo m504 p304, phase linear 700b and 4000 pre, Yamaha mx 1000u and matching pre, and through cd variable outputs, pioneer sx 1250, jvc ax 1100, technics sa 700, maverick audio d1, Panasonic saxr chip amps, jvc ax-r 551, pilot sa 260 sp 210.... the last four types are my favorites in reverse order.... I could name a few more but I must say Altecs are very picky about amps, recordings and spaces..... Also, my listening preferences aren't for everyone, I don't care for laid back sound, and hate brightness and grainy sound and love balance or as much as I can get top to bottom and love imaging and to hear a lot of a recording...
    Last edited by juniper; April 14th, 2014 at 11:25 AM.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member amandarae's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2008
    Posts
    259
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What amplifers are you using with your Altec gear?

    Just want to report what I experienced after posting some amps I use for my Altecs here several weeks ago....I just pickup console amp from a yard sale (Silvertone PP6V6 with original tubes) for $35 and it is worth every penny! I will change all electrolytics later on but still sound great with Altec 416 and JMLC horns. Only complaint I have is that it creates a thump during power off. I probaly need to solder a 0.001 uF 1kV ceramic cap in between neutral and hot (no GND on this old amp)to solve the problem. But for $35, its a winner! There's another tube amp that I borrowed and sound very good on Altecs. I am searching for it and will report once I got hold of one. Don't wanna go to a bidding war on Ebay
    QNME In Retro!

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member drummerwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What amplifers are you using with your Altec gear?

    I have had Altec speakers for over 10 years now , A7's with Multicell 803 horns ( sold them) , a pair of Altec 604-8k's ( sold the 8k's ) in MLTL's, a pair of Valencia's (still own those) and a pair of GPA 604-8III's in a bit larger MLTL cab.

    I use mostly SET amps either DIY 845 or DIY 2a3 SET's, but I sometimes use a DIY IT coupled 45PP amp or a pair of Rebuilt Wurlitzer IT coupled 45PP amps.

    Always DHT powered amps !
    "And the beat goes on"<br /> Willie

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 30th, 2012
    Location
    Warrensburg, MO
    Posts
    516
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What amplifers are you using with your Altec gear?

    Tubes !! Low powered, single ended for A7-800 ( 515B and 802s / 811s ).

    Self - designed, KISS, two stages, direct coupled - similar to a Loftin White....my favorite tube topology. "Less is more."

    Half a 6SL7WGT directly coupled to a triode-connected 6AQ5, into a Magnequest DS-050 output transformer.

    All power supply iron / magnetics are under ten Ohms in DCR ( chokes and high voltage power transformer ).

    LowOhms

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member zelgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 25th, 2002
    Posts
    302
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What amplifers are you using with your Altec gear?

    Quote Originally Posted by amandarae View Post
    Just want to report what I experienced after posting some amps I use for my Altecs here several weeks ago....I just pickup console amp from a yard sale (Silvertone PP6V6 with original tubes) for $35 and it is worth every penny! I will change all electrolytics later on but still sound great with Altec 416 and JMLC horns. Only complaint I have is that it creates a thump during power off. I probaly need to solder a 0.001 uF 1kV ceramic cap in between neutral and hot (no GND on this old amp)to solve the problem. But for $35, its a winner! There's another tube amp that I borrowed and sound very good on Altecs. I am searching for it and will report once I got hold of one. Don't wanna go to a bidding war on Ebay
    That sounds like Walmart pricing, nice one.
    Try a 100K to 200K resistor across the filter caps. It'll bleed off the residual voltage and eliminate the shut down thump.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member amandarae's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2008
    Posts
    259
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What amplifers are you using with your Altec gear?

    Quote Originally Posted by zelgall View Post
    That sounds like Walmart pricing, nice one.
    Try a 100K to 200K resistor across the filter caps. It'll bleed off the residual voltage and eliminate the shut down thump.
    Thank you for the suggestion! I will install one once I have the chance to play with the amp again. Thanks once more!

    Abe
    QNME In Retro!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.